Literacy Committee Chair: Sharon Gilmore
September 8, 2018: International Literacy Day
October 19, 2018: Jumpstart’s Read for the Record
February 11-17, 2018: LA Literacy Week
February 2019 National African American Read-In
March 2, 2019: Read Across America/Dr. Seuss’s Bday
May 1, 2019: Literacy Award Nominations due
July 2019: Literacy Award Winners announced at Leadership Awards Banquet
Revised June 2018
Applications for the state award should be sent to:
108 Price Rd
Sicily Island, LA 71368
Here are other ideas for celebrating Literacy Week:
- Have a special in-school event.Invite people from government, businesses, education, and the media to participate.Invite adults involved in literacy programs to come and share what they do.
- Have older students make books that can be shared with younger students in their school or with disadvantaged students.
- Conduct a read-a-thon, with monies raised going to a literacy program.
- Have a “book drive” collecting books for disadvantaged children.Get local bookstores or libraries involved.
- Get the media involved.Invite them to your school to cover whatever activities you do.