Literacy Committee Chair: Sharon Gilmore
September 8, 2016: International Literacy Day
October 27, 2016: Jumpstart’s Read for the Record
February 12-18, 2017: LA Literacy Week
February 2017 National African American Read-In
March 2, 2017: Read Across America/Dr. Seuss’s Bday
May 1, 2017: Literacy Award Nominations due
July 2017: Literacy Award Winners announced at Leadership Awards Banquet
Revised July 2016
Applications for the state award should be sent to:
108 Price Rd
Sicily Island, LA 71368
Here are other ideas for celebrating Literacy Week:
- Have a special in-school event.Invite people from government, businesses, education, and the media to participate.Invite adults involved in literacy programs to come and share what they do.
- Have older students make books that can be shared with younger students in their school or with disadvantaged students.
- Conduct a read-a-thon, with monies raised going to a literacy program.
- Have a “book drive” collecting books for disadvantaged children.Get local bookstores or libraries involved.
- Get the media involved.Invite them to your school to cover whatever activities you do.