Legislative Advocacy Committee Chair: Gerri Settoon
Legislative Action Plan
Goal 1: Professional Development
Provide leadership in support of research, policy, and practice that improves reading instruction and supports the best interests of all learners and reading professionals.
- Present Legislative Advocacy Committee Report at Board of Directors meetings.
- Publish advocacy information in the state newsletter.
- Conduct training session during the year.
- Publish an advocacy plan or report of a current legislative issue and make available on the LRA web site.
Goal 2: Advocacy
Establish and strengthen local, state, national and international alliances with a wide range of organizations, including governmental, non-governmental, colleges and universities, community agencies, businesses and industries including the Louisiana Department of Education and the Louisiana Governor’s Office.
- Create alliances with librarians in local, parish, college and university lab schools.
- Present information and develop relationships with local school board members, superintendents and the State Board of Education members.
- Serve on Louisiana Department of Education committees and task forces.
Goal 3: Partnerships
Provide and promote effective professional development opportunities for Louisiana literacy educators, librarians, and citizens.
- Provide professional development sessions during Board of Directors meetings.
- Plan and implement annual state conference contacts.
Goal 4: Communication
Improve and disseminate information with LRA, its affiliates, and to organizations and state programs throughout the state.
- Create and disseminate LRA Advocacy Handbook.
- Annually update Committee site on LRA website www.lareading.org
- Invite legislative members, State Department of Education staff, community leaders, and BESE members to disseminate information at meetings.
- Encourage members to become proactive with legislative issues.